Gates Cambridge Scholarship is one of the fully funded scholarship programs that international students can benefit from. See who can apply, when to apply, and how to apply.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships
The Gates Cambridge Scholarship is a highly prestigious international scholarship program established in October 2000 through a historic donation of US$210 million from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to the University of Cambridge.
The scholarship aims to select outstanding scholars from countries outside the UK to pursue postgraduate degrees in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Since its inception, the Trust has awarded over 2,000 scholarships to scholars from more than 100 countries.
Eligibility for Gates Cambridge Scholarships
1. Citizens of any country outside the United Kingdom are eligible.
2. Applicants must be applying for one of the following full-time residential courses of study: PhD (full-time or part-time*), MSc or MLitt (full-time), or a one-year postgraduate course (full-time) with some exceptions.
3. Gates Cambridge is piloting a scheme for October 2024 entry, allowing applicants to apply for funding for a part-time doctoral degree.
Gates Cambridge Scholarships Application Requirements
1. Gates Cambridge statement (explaining why applying and how to meet the criteria)
2. Research proposal (PhD applicants only)
3. Gates Cambridge reference
Gates Cambridge Scholarships Funding Coverage
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge, including tuition fees, maintenance allowance, one economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course, inbound visa costs, and the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge.
Additionally, discretionary funding is provided for academic development, family allowance, fieldwork, and more.
How to Apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarships
Applicants must submit their application for admission and funding via the University’s Graduate Application Portal.
The Gates Cambridge application has specific sections for the Gates Cambridge statement, a research proposal (Ph.D. applicants only), and a Gates Cambridge reference.
Current students at Cambridge can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship for a new postgraduate course, including a second scholarship if applying for a new degree.
Whether eligible for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship or not, applicants may be eligible for other funding offered by the University of Cambridge.
There are two Gates Cambridge application deadlines: October (for US citizens resident in the USA) and either December or January, depending on the course (for all other eligible applicants).
The selection criteria include outstanding intellectual ability, reasons for the choice of course, a commitment to improving the lives of others, and leadership potential.
Discretionary Funding Components
1. Academic development funding
2. Dependent Children Allowance
3. Fieldwork funding
4. Maternity/Paternity funding
5. Hardship funding
Courses NOT Considered for Gates Cambridge Scholarships
2. Business Doctorate (BusD)
3. Master of Business (MBA)
4. Master of Finance (MFin)
5. MASt courses
6. PGCE, MBBChir Clinical Studies
7. MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
8. Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
9. Part-time degrees other than the PhD, and
10. Non-degree courses.
This scholarship opportunity not only covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge but also provides a platform for scholars to contribute to the improvement of global communities through their leadership potential and commitment to positive change.